Thursday, January 30, 2014

...But first, a little fun

The wilderness isn't all one big angst fest. It's also about having a little fun and wandering to places that please you! No one can be on a wilderness journey in New Orleans and NOT go downtown!

I arrived here to the Lowernine house on Saturday Jan. 25. Since they work from Mon-Fri, I had all Sunday to go sightseeing and play tourist. But first, Darren, my team leader, wanted me to go with him to the local donut shop for a nice full breakfast. So we went down to Geralds.



The one thing I've come to discover about Darren is that in his world, there are no strangers. And maybe it's because we're in the south, too, but everywhere I go with him, he is yelling hello to whomever is there and schmoozing with everyone. Well after getting up early for that adventure, I headed down to spend the day in the French Quarter.

Since it was Sunday morning, I decided it would be fitting to begin the day at the St. Louis Cathedral across from Jackson Square. I figured the new pope wouldn't be offended if I pretended to be Catholic and received communion. Since it was a large church with many resources, it was no surprise that the music and the whole presentation was top notch. I knew all the songs- Loaves Abound, Child of the Light, I received the Living God. I also found entertaining, to listen to one of the priests who sounded exactly like my intern supervisor Paul Jann who was from Queens-(said with love, Paul, if you're reading this!) "Awlmoighty Gowd, Fawthuh of oweh Lawd Jesus Christ...."


Then it was off to go exploring the variety of shops and art galleries that abound. It was the first time I'd been a tourist by myself for an extended period so that was an interesting experience as well. Half the fun was choosing places to eat. Even the po-boy sandwiches were $12.00 at moderate places so I quickly blew the budget for the week but I enjoyed every bite! Lunch was at the Market Restaurant which featured a live jazz band. Becca told me I had to go to Cafe du Monde to get a beignet so I squeezed in a mid afternoon snack and did just that. I really didn't want or need the minimum of 3 that you have to order- I just wanted one,  but i figured, I'm in New Orleans, just do it. And that probably if I just had one, some homeless person would hustle me for the other 2. I was not disappointed.

There is a certain wisdom that comes with age and I decided that I was not comfortable exploring Bourbon Street by myself. So after a block or 2 of that craziness, I went back to the blocks to the south. I found Cafe Soule for dinner where I enjoyed a lovely shrimp crepe and fries that reminded me of the ones at the Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor. Now I'm starting to sound like Mary Alice Powell who writes a column in the Toledo Blade about her travels, which I actually find to be rather boring. Well let me wrap this up before you click out of here.

But first, 2 other things of note. I have to look up what kind of liqueur St. Germain is, because in Cafe Soule's drink special,  they put it in champagne with an orange twist. Sensational!

And last, I promise, is to mention the great assortment of random live musicians that dot the streets in the French Quarter. My favorite, however, was not a jazz group but a unique banjo and mandolin duo called "13 Strings and a 2 Dollar Bill". I thought they actually sounded like the street musicians that dotted the streets in Asheville NC when I visited there a few years ago. After one of their songs I asked them where they were from.... Asheville NC! (They're on YouTube)


On the next blog post, you'll see more of what we've been working on this week. It's been a slow start since there was no escaping the polar vortex this week even at the edge of the gulf coast! Until next time!

Jeanne

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't already found out, Saint Germain is an orange Liqueur

    ReplyDelete