Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Introducing some of the volunteers

The "lowernine" organization through which I've been volunteering to fix homes in New Orleans, provides housing and meals for the volunteers. I was somewhat prepared for the rustic conditions, but I was not prepared for the roaches that lurk in the kitchen and emerge every so often when you're not expecting it. The condition of the house is pretty much how I would imagine a fraternity house would be. (No pictures of it- I don't want to scare you!)

Fortunately I have a refuge in my room. I had a room to myself for the first few days but since last Wednesday I've been sharing the room with a woman named Sandy Marcus with whom I've become fast friends. We are similar in age and outlook, and, like me, she is a native New Yorker. We are the "senior citizens" in the house, with the rest of the volunteers being in their 20s. We had to laugh when, after Sandy put yogurt on the shopping list, they bought a couple dozen of the Activia brand! (If you haven't seen the commercials, the product is marketed toward a "mature audience") They claimed it was on sale. We believe them ;/ but it was funny nevertheless.

I thought I'd spend a little time introducing some of the people in the house that I spend my day with. Up until last week, we had 3 kids from France. There was Fiona whom I didn't get to know very well because of the language barrier. We were only here 5 days together since she went back to France last Friday. The other 2 French kids are Axel, who is a quiet, soft spoken guy, (except I heard a report that he can belt out "Wrecking Ball" after he's had a couple drinks)  and Tom Tom who is 6'7". His real name is Tom but we call him Tom Tom to distinguish him from the other Tom in the house who is from England. Tom Tom plans to be a commercial pilot which is awesome. Part of his interest in volunteering was to be able to learn English. I find it entertaining to hear him laugh because to my ears, he laughs with a French accent!

              L to R.  Tom Tom, Axel, Fiona, Sandy, and Lael (one of the team leaders) on the porch of the "Rock and Bowl" (Bowling, Zydeco music and dancing and a bar rolled into one)

We have a couple girls from Kansas City named Maus and Monster. They have actual names but no one calls them Micah and Chelsey. Darren my team leader also calls them Heckle and Jekyl. (I wonder if they even know who those birds are?) They are both in Roller Derby. They were on a team in Kansas City and are getting into the New Orleans team. They are planning to become residents in this city.

                                       Maus (hat) and Monster (hoodie) on Bourbon St.

Alyssa (pictured on the left above in glasses) is from Fresno CA and will be celebrating her 21st birthday Wednesday at 12 midnight since her English honey Tom is going back to England on Thursday. (Her birthdate) The house will be getting gradually quieter by this weekend. Tom (below) has thoroughly enjoyed the partying side of the New Orleans experience.


We had a dinner at our directors' house last week. It was a lot of fun. Below are a couple shots of that event.

L to R- Laura (director of Lowernine), Allyssa, Tom and Tim (another team leader who lives in the house, a guitar player and a Dylan and Grateful Dead fan.)


Dinner party with lowernine volunteers and some other invited guests.

Sandy and I have been enjoying exploring the sites and sounds of the city on our days off. Last weekend we traveled to the Garden District and had a lovely lunch at a restaurant called Salu. She has become my social director! Since it was a warm day we didn't wear coats but since we were meeting the rest of the kids at at NBA game later, we realized we might get cold, so we scored a couple great bargains at a vintage store which transitioned us into the evening. She got a shirt and a pair of slacks and I got a great black and white jacket. (No pics)


  Well that's it for today's installment. I hope you enjoyed sharing my slice of life and the people in it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment